Duphaston (Dydrogesterone) belongs to the drug class of steroidal progestins. The medication is a worldwide known and approved in more than 100 countries. Duphaston is manufactured by the pharmaceutical company Abbott.
Duphaston is an orally active progestogen used to treat a great number of gynaecological illnesses and conditions. The medication is orally active at lower doses and does not produce any unpleasant hormonal adverse effects which other hormonal solutions have.
- menstrual disorders such as dysmenorrhea, secondary amenorrhea, dysfunctional uterine bleeding, irregular cycles;
- threatended and habitual abortion;
- infertility including luteal deficiency;
- premenstrual syndrome.
The other medical purpose of the drug is HRT or hormone replacement therapy to neutralize the negative effects of unopposed estrogen on the endometrium.
Duphaston is taken on selected days during the menstrual cycle, depending upon the condition that is being treated. Your doctor will adjust the right dose for you and the schedule of how to take the medication.
Duphaston is used successfully to treat infertility due to its benefits including:
- it has no inhibitory effect on ovulation
- it does not change the normal pattern of secretory transformation of the endometrium
- it does not restrict the generation of progesterone in the placenta during early pregnancy
- it does not cause masculinisation of the female foetus.
When administered orally Duphaston possesses beneficial pharmacological characteristics such as:
- oral activity at low dosages
- selective progestogenic properties
In comparison with other synthetic progestogens, Duphaston has no chemical relation to testosterone. It does not produce any unpleasant androgenic side effects such as:
- virilisation (acne, voice changes, hirsutism) of the adult woman
- virilising effects on the genital tract of the female foetus
- effect on the fertility of the offspring.
Duphaston is generally well-tolerated and produces side effects very rarely, the side effects may include: liver function alteration, nausea, dizziness, jaundice,abdominal pain, allergic rash, pruritus, urticaria, oedema, angioedema, haemolytic anaemia.
Before using this medication it is necessary to consult your doctor to be sure that it will not produce any harm to your health.